In today’s fast-paced world, finding time for mental health can be challenging. Explore the concept of micro habits—small, manageable behaviors that can significantly improve your mental wellbeing without disrupting your busy schedule.
In his now famous Tedx Talk, “Forget Big Change, Start with a Tiny Habit”, BJ Fogg PhD, explains how incorporating tiny, consistent actions into your routine can lead to meaningful achievements in various aspects of life, including mental health.
- Short Mindfulness Meditation Before Getting Out of Bed: Start your day with a brief mindfulness meditation to boost psychological wellbeing. Discover how even a few minutes of mindful practices can enhance mood, attention, and reduce anxiety. Explore the benefits of mindfulness exercises, supported by research findings.
- Mindful Breathing during the Commute to Work: Maximize your commute time by practicing mindful breathing. Learn a simple breathing exercise to activate the parasympathetic nervous system, promoting relaxation. Discover how this practice can prepare you for the day ahead.
- Get Active!: Initiate a small physical activity goal to jumpstart your fitness journey. Explore simple steps, like taking the stairs at work, to gradually increase your physical activity. Embrace the idea that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
- Being Kind to Yourself and Others: Understand the positive impact of kindness on emotional wellbeing, supported by the British Psychological Society. Incorporate small acts of kindness into your daily routine, fostering a positive environment for both yourself and others.
- Be Creative – Endless Possibilities: Explore diverse micro habit possibilities for mental health improvement. From expanding your vocabulary to making healthier snack choices, discover how creativity can enhance your overall wellbeing. Embrace the idea that small, consistent changes lead to significant results.
While the provided micro habits are just a starting point, they offer a foundation for improving mental health. Dr. Steven Gannon recommends incorporating these simple behaviors into your routine and gradually increasing their frequency. Monitor your progress and celebrate your successes as you embark on a journey towards better mental wellbeing.
Learn more about Centric Mental Health’s services and Dr. Steven Gannon, a Chartered Psychologist, and Corporate Wellness Coach, at https://mentalhealth.ie/therapy-services.