Melissa has over 10 years of experience supporting individual adults, children and their families to cope where there is a significant history of adversity, mental health issues and trauma. Most of this work has been in a community setting and includes one to one therapeutic children & family support services, a family homeless service, a youth criminal justice therapy project and a counselling centre. Melissa graduated from UCD with a MSc in Systemic Psychotherapy in conjunction with the Mater Hospital. This qualifies her to work with individual clients as well as providing family therapy. Systemic psychotherapy aims to see the person/family’s distress in the context of their wider relationships, communities, cultures and environments and not located within any one person.
Melissa’s approach to supporting clients is based on identifying the unique needs with each client at the start of the therapy and at regular intervals throughout. Melissa works to create a safe psychological environment by putting the client at ease, meeting each person with compassion, being transparent and looking to build on existing strengths. Throughout the support Melissa will work with you to develop additional skills, knowledge and perspectives that will help to increase coping resources, resilience and emotional regulation. Melissa works to enhance relationships within your own social networks, family and community which in turn can provide long term protective factors.
Melissa is highly skilled at engaging young people in therapy and views supporting the role of parents to be a key factor in having positive mental health outcomes for children and adolescents. What this looks like in practice varies, but, often it means including the caregiver in sessions jointly with their child or separately at key points throughout the process. This collaborative approach ensures that any insights or skills developed within the session have long term impact when the therapy ends.
- Family relationship issues
- Supporting positive child and adolescent development
- Parental wellbeing and supports
- Impact of adverse childhood experiences
- Bereavement, illness and loss
- Child to parent violence and aggression
- School/ peer related issues
- Emotional difficulties
- General anxiety and low mood
Melissa’s Qualifications & Education
- BSocSci Social Science
- MSc Systemic Psychotherapy
- Registered with the Family Therapy Association of Ireland
- Registered with the Irish Council for Psychotherapy
- Level 1 Certificate in Narrative Therapy
- Completed workshops in Somatic Experiencing, TraumaPlay, Polyvagal theory and the Neuro Affective Relational Model.
Melissa Works With:
- Children & Teens (Aged 5+)
Please note that this is only a snapshot of the issues Melissa works with. Please use the contact form above for further enquiries.